Hock Shield - XL Warmblood Draft
Manufacturer: Intrepid International
Hock Shields allows a full range of motion while covering total area where most horses get hock sores. The Hock Shields stay in place more than 95% of the time. Horses should get 3 months of wear out of a pair of Hock Shields, most will get more.
Tips for Success:
- When putting Hock Shields on, make sure leg is directly under them. Stepping forward, backward or tipping the hoof up will expand the joint
- Finding the perfect spot can take experimentation. Start with just a little tension in the elastic. If it falls down, put a little more tension the next time. You want to find the loosest point you need without it falling down
- NEVER PUT IT ON TOO TIGHT!! Putting it on too tight can make it come off too. If it isn't comfortable, your horse WILL get it off. You must be able to slide two fingers between the elastic and the leg. The joint will expand about one inch when they lay down, you need to allow for that expansion.
- Some horses are a bigger challenge than others. The way they push, their confirmation, their stall-mate/neighbor, or other mystery factors contribute to the challenge.
- If your horse needs to wear their Hock Shields all the time, you should check and readjust them each day.
- Keep experimenting and you should be able to find the right spot for your horse
How to determine the correct size:
- Measure the smallest point just above the hock joint.
- Make sure the leg is straight and the hoof is flat on the ground.
13” up to 15.9″= Regular Horse
16” up to 20″= XL/Draft